In a world of tight schedules, harmful pollution, chemically-laden products, high anxiety, and environmental toxin overload, it is impossible for our skin not to feel and show the effects of it all. Thankfully, with a little commitment, you can maintain your skin's natural beauty in the comfort of your own home! Keep reading for tips and simple at-home methods to reduce stress, maintain your radiant skin, and decrease the signs of aging!
Cleansing Your Skin
The first step in caring for your skin is to properly cleanse it. Perspiration, grease, dust, stale make-up, dirt, and bacteria all collect on your skin and must be completely removed. Cleansing helps to.clean the skin, open the pores, and allows for the skin to best absorb the products you are going to apply. If you wear a good amount of make-up, you may want to first use a makeup remover to get the majority of the make-up off your face prior to cleansing.
To properly cleanse, begin by wetting the face with lukewarm water. Apply the cleanser/nourishing soap on your face and neck and gently massage in a circular, upward motion. Remove by using a damp washcloth and warm water to ensure all of the residue is removed from the face.
Toning Your Skin
Next, tone your skin. Toning is important because it helps remove any remaining grease or dirt and even cleanser residue on your skin after the cleansing process is complete. It helps to close pores and maintain the skin's natural pH, and if you intend to use makeup, it leaves a smooth clean texture which will hold foundation and powder much longer. Over time of using a toner, it will shrink your pores.
Nourishing Your Skin
Nourishing your skin is also an essential part of any beauty routine. Dirt, dust, hot and cold weather, cosmetics, and even sunlight, all tend to dry out the skin, robbing it of moisture and oil. Consequently, making sure to cleanse your face each night before bed is essential to younger looking skin. Skin "foods" or moisturizers attempt to replenish nourishment to the skin, reviving its natural healthiness. If you have drier skin, applying a moisturizer right after washing your face is beneficial to prevent drying and to get moisturizer locked in right away. You can nourish with your favorite moisturizer and also follow it with a facial oil if your skin is in need of deep hydration or repair.
A facial is the quickest way of cleansing, reviving, and brightening faded skin, leaving the skin light, soft and glowing. A facial also does a thorough job of relaxing frazzled nerves so that you emerge not only looking younger but also feeling fresher and more relaxed! A facial once or twice each month will ensure rejuvenated and fresh skin for a long time to come!
If it is in your budget to seek out a spa or professional for your facial, find someone who uses natural products and pays attention to your skin type. However, if you do not have the time or cannot afford the luxury of regular salon treatments, you can give yourself a facial at home! Choose a time when you can be undisturbed and quiet, and get everything ready before you start so that you can relax and really enjoy it!
Follow the routine below for a quick, at-home facial:
- Begin by removing your makeup either using makeup remover wipes, coconut oil or another method to remove all residue from the face. Cleanse your face and neck with a good cleanser and thoroughly remove.
- The next step is a gentle exfoliation to remove dead skin cells, dirt, and bacteria allowing the skin to best absorb the other products. We love using a simple, DIY exfoliant of baking soda and a little water to make a thin paste in the palm of your hand or you can also find wonderful store-bought products to use. Just don’t get a harsh one with large granules of exfoliant as it will cause micro scrapes on your skin.
- Prepare a face mask suited to your skin type. On a thoroughly cleansed and exfoliated face, spread a fairly thick layer avoiding the mouth area and creating large circles round the eyes. Then, lie on your back and keep the mask on for 15 to 20 minutes or until dry. There are many options for creating a mask at home, but the one we love the most is a simple concoction of organic coconut oil, honey and fresh avocado.
- When the mask is dry, wash your face and neck with lukewarm water, keeping your eyes closed. Dry your skin and apply your favorite toner. .
- Lastly, now that the skin is thoroughly cleansed, exfoliated, and the pores are open, it is time to apply skin serum and/or moisturizer to the face. Spend some time massaging it in using upward, circular motions.
Massaging your Skin
Massaging your face is another essential practice for healthy skin and can also be really relaxing! While being an effective way to counter wrinkles, massaging is a slow process and its results are obvious only if it is practiced regularly for an extended period of time. That said, there is no doubt that massage is highly beneficial for tightening facial tissues, increasing blood flow, stimulating nerves and thus, boosting collagen production.
Massage is most effective if the skin is thoroughly cleansed first. Do not forget to remove all traces of makeup, otherwise particles of dirt will end up blocking the pores of the skin. If the skin is dry, use a good moisturizer before massaging it. Finally, apply Vitamin E cream using only enough to give sufficient greasiness to the skin so that the hands and fingers move smoothly on the face.
After having cleaned the skin, press it with light but firm fingers, putting a little pressure while applying a good moisturizer. Make sure to hold the skin firmly and apply even pressure. The massage should start from the neck and move upwards ending at the forehead or temples. Veins and tissues get an increased flow of oxygen/ blood supply by this process. The skin around the eyes is delicate so it is advisable to apply cream on this part without pressing it in too deeply. Cream takes 15 to 20 minutes to get absorbed by the skin, so massage should continue that long. Gently wipe off excess cream when finished.
So there you have it! By following these simple tips, and being consistent with your routines, you can easily start having brighter, healthier, and more rejuvenated looking skin in no time at all!